UGC Flags 20 Universities as 'Fake', Unauthorised to Grant Degrees, Check Full List
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has recently taken a significant step by identifying and designating 20 universities across India as "fraudulent" entities, falling outside the purview of the UGC Act. These institutions lack the legitimate authority to confer degrees upon students. The primary objective behind the UGC's decisive action is to provide a shield of protection to students, shielding them from the risks of pursuing degrees from unaccredited or deceitful educational establishments.
It is of utmost importance that both students and their parents diligently verify the accreditation status of universities prior to enrollment. Emphasizing the gravity of the matter, UGC Secretary Manish Joshi underscored that several educational institutions are, in fact, granting degrees in direct violation of the stipulations outlined in the UGC Act. He explicitly stated, "Degrees granted by such universities shall carry neither recognition nor validity for advanced education or employment purposes. These universities lack the authority to confer any form of degree."
Delving into the specifics, it is noteworthy that Delhi is home to eight of these deceptive universities, rendering it the state with the highest number of such fraudulent educational institutions. Among the dubious universities in Delhi are the All India Institute of Public and Physical Health Sciences, Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, Commercial University Ltd, Daryaganj, United Nations University, Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University), ADR-Centric Juridical University, Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, and Vocational University.
The UGC has compiled a state-wise inventory of these fake universities, highlighting the gravity of the situation:
- All India Institute of Public & Physical Health Sciences (AIIPHS)
- Commercial University Ltd.
- United Nations University
- Vocational University
- ADR-Centric Juridical University
- Indian Institute of Science and Engineering
- Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment
- Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University)
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh
- Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Bharat Bhawan, Matiyari Chinhat, Faizabad Road, Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata
- Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research, Diamond Harbour Road, Builtech inn, Thakurpurkur
- Christ New Testament Deemed University, Guntur
- Bible Open University of India, Visakhapatnam
- Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum
- St. John’s University, Kishanattam
- Raja Arabic University, Nagpur
- Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education, Thilaspet, Vazhuthavoor Road
It is pertinent to note that several institutions previously identified as "fraudulent" by the UGC in the past year have found their place on this year's list as well, indicating the persisting nature of the issue.