School Summer Vacations: From Maharashtra To Uttar Pradesh, Check State-Wise Holiday Updates Here
In most states across the country, May marks the beginning of summer vacation for students and teachers.
Thu, 4 May 2023
In most states across the country, May marks the beginning of summer vacation for students and teachers. With almost a month off from school, students have the longest opportunity to unwind, play, and develop new interests or skills while simultaneously preparing for the upcoming academic year. Many Indian states have announced the dates for their summer vacations. Here's a breakdown of the schedules:
- Kerala: Public schools in Kerala closed on April 2 for a 60-day summer break that will last through the end of May. The new academic session for 2023-24 is scheduled to begin on June 1.
- West Bengal: The summer vacation in government-run and aided schools in West Bengal began on May 2 instead of the earlier schedule of May 24 due to the sweltering heat across the state. The education authorities have not yet released the date to start the academic session 2023-2024.
- Madhya Pradesh: Schools in Madhya Pradesh have granted holidays from May 1 to June 15 for students and from May 1 to June 9 for teachers. The new academic session for the year 2023-24 started on April 17.
- Andhra Pradesh: Schools in Andhra Pradesh are scheduled to be closed effective from May 1 and will resume on June 12. The last working day for the 2022-23 academic year is April 30. All schools in the state, including both public and private ones, will reopen on June 12.
- Tamil Nadu: Schools following the Tamil Nadu State Board curriculum have closed for the summer holiday beginning April 29. The schools will resume for Classes 1 through 5 on June 5 and for Classes 6 through 12 on June 1.
- Maharashtra: The summer break for students in Maharashtra’s elementary, middle, and high schools started on April 21 and is scheduled to end on June 15. The Maharashtra government had announced the summer vacations in view of the extensive heatwave across India.
- Odisha: The summer break in Odisha is scheduled from May 5 to June 18, according to the Odisha Department of Education.
- Jharkhand: The summer break in Jharkhand will last from May 21 through June 10. The upcoming academic year 2023-24 is scheduled to start on June 12.
- Uttar Pradesh: Schools in Uttar Pradesh will have a 40-day summer break from May 21 to June 20, according to the academic schedule. The education department will issue a separate notification if there are any changes to the dates.